As all savvy business owners know, running a cannabis business is not without risk. Inventory loss missed shipments, and security threats are all constant worries when running a cannabis company. This is why adding the top of the line security to your business is essential for guiding its growth.
We compiled the 6 most important security features a cannabis dispensary must-have. Your dispensary security must be top-notch if you want peace of mind, right? Let’s start.
6 Important Security Must-Haves for Cannabis Dispensaries
1. Risk identification – A dispensary security plan starts with identifying all the risks to your business. The risks of a cannabis dispensary is similar to a lot of retail businesses. Your priorities lie in protecting your products and money. Some questionable workers might find creative ways to funnel money out of your business so you better watch out for that one too.
2. Track transactions with your Point of Sale (POS) system – This is a great way for you and the team to easily audit all the products that were sold at a location and will give you more insight in case you see discrepancies in your system.
3. Get a video surveillance system – Having video surveillance is a legal requirement for every cannabis business. However, this doesn’t mean that we should just go and pick out the first video surveillance company that approaches us. There are multiple instances when businesses do have video surveillance but they don’t seem to work when you need them to. Focus on getting a system that is dependable and has all the features you need. Also make it a habit to do frequent maintenance checks of your system at least once every few months.
4. Pick out the right security camera – Always remember that your camera is independent of your surveillance system. Depending on where you are located, the law might require your dispensary to be able to record anywhere from 45 to 90 days of high quality video. The right camera should be able to record up to 720p while keeping the file size small. This is not a big problem for newer cameras but older models might not be able to keep up. You also need to consider your dispensary floor plan when installing so you get maximum coverage on every camera.
5. Monitor your trucks – Having a system for shipment monitoring ensures product safety during deliveries. In the short term, this can allow you to keep a close eye on your drivers and assure timely product arrival. In the long term, monitoring your trucks can allow you to keep accurate business records and manage your inventory more effectively.
6. Find a tech partner – While most dispensaries nowadays have in-house tech departments to take care of all their security equipment, getting a third-party partner is still an invaluable option. Getting an experienced IT partner becomes cost-effective in the long run especially when you start to count the trainings you need and certifications. A tech partner also reduces any chances of your equipment failing due to bad installations.
Every cannabis dispensary must have a qualified IT partner. From helping plan out security to everyday operations support, Geektek is the all-in-one solution for all your IT needs. If you are a cannabis dispensary looking for help with securing your facility and operations, contact Geektek today.